Sign up for our informative newsletter for updates and news about Head Start!
For the Newsletter Archive
The Nutrition Services mission statement is to promote child wellness by providing nutrition services that complement and educate the child, family and community. We strive to achieve this mission by educating our children and their families on healthy diets and lifestyles.
Our primary goal is to help children maintain healthy weights by increasing physical activity while reducing the number of overweight children in Head Start of Greater Dallas. In addition to heightening the awareness of proper nutrition and physical activity, The Nutrition Services content area has been dedicated to ensuring that menus are planned to include:
- Whole grain products daily
- Fresh fruits and/or frozen vegetables daily.
- 1% Milk daily
- Foods high in Vitamin A three times per week
- Foods high in Vitamin C daily
- 100% juice without added sugar
The Nutrition program is funded by the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).
The Nutrition Content area has developed and implemented several nutrition programs that fosters to educating children, families and staff about the importance of nutrition, and physical activity. These programs are:
- H.A.P.P.Y (Healthy, Active, Playful, Powerful and Youthful) kids
- Heart Healthy Head Start
- H.O.M.E (Healthy Outcomes for Mothers Expecting)
- Round ‘Em Up Olympics
- Yoga for Youngsters
- Nibbles for Health